“At Elkay, our commitment to sustainability and corporate responsibility is evident in everything we do,” said the CEO Ric Phillips. “From our water supply products that provide free public access to fresh, filtered water and saved tens of billions of plastic bottles from landfill, to the thousands of hours our employees volunteered in their communities, I’m proud of the impact our people do to take care of the planet and its people. The people of Elkay keep going out and surprising me with the many brilliant ways they help our communities and their consistent generosity. I am proud of the achievements of our team and the progress we have made. Together we made a difference to change the lives of people all over the world. “
Announcement of new goals
Elkay builds on its commitment to corporate responsibility and continuous improvement by announcing new targets to measure, monitor and drive its progress on important issues such as diversity, equity, inclusion and environmental impact.
Elkay’s corporate responsibility goals for the upcoming 2020-2021 reporting period include:
Analysis and reduction of greenhouse gases
Metrics 302-1, 305-1, 305-2, 303-3
Elkay made a preliminary greenhouse gas inventory in early 2020, including Scope 1 emissions (direct emissions from operations, e.g. 2018 and 2019. During this reporting period, Elkay went through various organizational changes that affected our ability to create a reliable base year. In 2021 Elkay will inventory and analyze greenhouse gas emissions across the company to provide a reliable baseline. Then we will begin developing a strategy that will prepare Elkay to set science-based goals by 2024. Elkay is making changes to our energy – and water usage, improves plant efficiency and assesses how we can innovate our manufacturing practices to be less wasteful.
Improvement of product transparency
Metrics 416-1, 417-1
Company-wide product transparency is a pillar of the sustainability strategy. In 2018 Elkay began offering Health Product Declarations (HDPs) for select products to give our user community an insight into the materials they interact with on a daily basis. This initiative has enabled Elkay to take an important step towards product stewardship. We strive to improve the transparency of our products and want to achieve 80% product coverage with health product declarations or similar product sustainability documentation within the sanitary company by 2026. The plumbing company will intensify its cooperation with EIS over the next two years. Offer transparency documents on key products by 2024. We plan to use the information in these transparency documents to optimize our products for their impact on human health and the environment.
Protecting and improving the safety and health of employees in our supply chain
Metrics 408-1, 409-1, 412-3, 414-1, 414-2
Elkay’s sanitation organization expects our suppliers to act with respect for their employees, the community and the environment. In 2018, Elkay again confirmed 49.1% of the plumbing supplier’s commitment to the code of conduct in our six-monthly review; this corresponded to about 80% of the sanitary expenditures. The code of conduct serves to protect employee safety, the protection of children and adults from forced or compulsory labor and ensures that our suppliers apply fair employment practices. Over the next two years, Elkay will expand the content of this Code of Conduct and ensure that it is incorporated into the culture of every Elkay business organization, including EIS and MR Direct, resulting in 90% coverage of Elkay purchase dollars.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion – Enhancing the diversity of the candidate pool
Elkay strives to increase the diverse * representation of our pool of candidates for filling our professional positions. We are currently pursuing the following improvements:
- Increase in the proportion of various candidates presented to our hiring managers for professional positions in office locations to 25%.
- Increase in the proportion of various new hires for professional positions in office locations to 25%. We will monitor and evaluate our company performance data in order to identify specific opportunities for continuous improvement as the process progresses.
* For both destinations we decided to define diversity by ethnicity based on our location on our trip. It should be noted that we are also trying to increase non-male representation. Both metrics are tracked at the same time.
The highlights of the 2018-19 report include:
- Celebrate record milestones from almost 7.5 billion gallons of fresh filtered water for thirsty people and at the same time prevents excess 46 billion plastic bottles to go into the environment.
- Increase in transparency through production Health product declarations for our sanitary products
- Foundation of a Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council, This results in new DEI performance indicators, company-wide management training courses and numerous Employee Resource Groups (ERGs).
- Start Well for the youth Program too Provide fresh, filtered drinking water to schools in need – and teach children and their parents about healthy drinking habits for life
- surpass $ 5.6 million Donate milestone through ELKAYcares employee donation campaign since its introduction in 2011
- Creation Sternberg Philanthropy Award To recognize employees for their outstanding commitment to community service and civic engagement.
- Increase the company’s investment in development in our employees through formal education and training programs and employee training support by 38% and 58%, respectively.
“Starting a sustainability and corporate responsibility project is a daunting undertaking,” said Sr. Manager Compliance & Sustainability, John Watson. “Introducing new measurement and reporting methods for multiple functions, and then adapting your business practices to improve those metrics year after year, requires strong leadership engagement – and across the organization at every touchpoint where processes can be improved. I am proud of our people and their commitment to doing the hard work to make the world a better, safer, and healthier place and our company a better citizen of our planet – and I look forward to our future advances in that To witness the achievement of our newly defined goals and to report on them. “
A full copy of Elkay’s second Social Responsibility Report, prepared under the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) core option and covering the 2018-2019 reporting period, can be downloaded from https://bit.ly/32ivjjq.
Family-owned since 1920, Elkay has been manufacturing innovative products and providing exceptional customer service for almost a century. Elkay prides itself on being America’s leading kitchen sink company, but expanded its commercial offerings more than four decades ago and today supplies faucets, water coolers, drinking fountains, Smartwell Water Delivery Systems and the award-winning ezH2O bottle filling stations in addition to top-of-the-line stainless steel and quartz sinks . Our Elkay Interior Systems division is a global leader in the design and construction of branded retail environments and commercial systems such as stainless steel products for commercial kitchens for leading international brands in the retail, hospitality, restaurant and education sectors. Like your family, Elkay has values and traditions that endure – like our commitment to sustainability and giving back to our community. Headquarters in The United States in Downers Grove, Illinois, Elkay employs over 2,400 people worldwide at 28 locations in the USA, China, and Mexico. For more information, visit www.elkay.com.